Try this watermelon pizza recipe as an easy summer treat. This healthy fruit pizza with yogurt and berries will have your tastebuds begging for more — and for good reason. Not only is this delicious summer dessert a healthy alternative that’s low in both calories and sugar, but it’s also an easy way to consume extra antioxidants and vitamins that support wellness.
Watermelon Pizza with Yogurt
Fruit pizzas make delicious and healthy summer desserts. This watermelon pizza with yogurt is no exception! Learn how to make this recipe for a healthy treat to enjoy as a dessert when entertaining. Or try it as quick, kid-friendly summertime snack.
Watermelon pizza apparently started off as a TikTok trend. Domino’s pizza then tried to monetize this trend by making their own version of watermelon fruit pizza. Unfortunately, their version of this healthy dessert was an epic fail. Fortunately, you can make your own healthy pizzas with fruit at home! Not only do they taste amazing, but it’s also an affordable way to feed a crowd. If you’re looking for a party ideas, then you must try this fun summer recipe!
My watermelon pizza with yogurt is quick and easy to make. It’s perfect for a day at the beach, a summer picnic, a 4th of July celebration, or even a birthday party dessert. Ready in just 15-minutes, this healthy, kid-friendly dessert is one the kids will actually enjoy making — and eating! If you’re ready to liven up your vacation days with tasty way to beat the heat, this summertime dish is perfect. It’s an ideal way to stay hydrated and enjoy all the natural health benefits that watermelon has to offer.
As I use coconut yogurt for this recipe, my watermelon fruit pizza is vegan. However, if you aren’t following a vegan diet and don’t need a vegan recipe, you may substitute the coconut yogurt with any low sugar yogurt of your choice.
Watermelon Health Benefits
Watermelon fruit pizzas make a healthy summer treat and a low-calorie dessert. They are made with real fruit, so they are rich in antioxidants and other nutrients. And, unlike other sweet summer snacks, fruit pizzas are made without preservatives. Following are some of the benefits you’ll enjoy when eating healthy fruit pizzas make with this popular summertime fruit.
- A low-calorie food, watermelon has just 46 calories per 1 cup serving.
- Watermelon is a good source of Vitamin C, copper, potassium, Vitamin B5 and Vitamin A.
- These healthy fruit pizzas are sweetened with coconut yogurt instead of sugar. Therefore, they are a healthier, plant based dessert option.
- As watermelon contains a lot of water, it helps you stay hydrated as you eat.
- This summer fruit is a source of citrulline — an amino acid which may improve exercise performance.
- Watermelon is filled with antioxidants which help combat free radicals that cause cellular damage.
- It promotes heart health thanks to the magnesium, potassium, and vitamins A, B6, and C content. As well as lycopene may help lower cholesterol and blood pressure.
- The combination of the above mentioned ingredients found in this vegan watermelon pizza recipe can also reduce body inflammation and oxidative stress.
- Just as using vitamins A and C in skin care can help reduce the appearance of aging, consuming foods rich in vitamin C may also help your body produce collagen necessary for youthful looking skin and strong, healthy looking hair.
What Is Watermelon Fruit Pizza Made Of?
Much like a tasty fruit salad, vegan watermelon pizza is basically a watermelon salad shaped like a fun pizza! It’s made using a juicy, ripe watermelon as the base or crust of this healthy fruit pizza. Plant-baed coconut yogurt is then slathered onto watermelon slices to serve as the sauce. Finally, the toppings consist of other fresh summer fruits. I used berries and cherries to top off this sweet dessert for a flavorful way to satisfy those sweet cravings.
How Do You Keep Fruit Pizza from Getting Soggy?
As the watermelon used for the base of fruit pizza tends to become more watery over time, it’s recommended that you make this dessert just prior to serving. Otherwise, it may seem like the dish is soggy if it’s set out too long.
If you prefer to prep this treat ahead of time, I recommend prepping all the ingredients separately. Then simply assemble the watermelon pizza with yogurt right before you’re ready to serve this dish to your family or party guests.
Can I Make Watermelon Fruit Pizza the Day Before?
The watermelon, yogurts and berries used to make fruit pizza all hold up well in the fridge. Therefore, you can make this watermelon fruit pizza a day ahead of time. However, I do recommend that you cover the prepared dish when storing overnight. This will prevent the berries on top from drying out.
Ideally though, you will get the best results — along with a gorgeous presentation for your party or event — by simply prepping all the ingredients a night ahead of time. Then assemble the final fruit pizzas just prior to serving.
How Long Is Fruit Pizza Good for in the Fridge?
This watermelon fruit pizza is best enjoyed fresh. However, if you aren’t able to eat it in its entirety, you may wrap and refrigerate any leftovers for two to three days. As watermelon does tend to degrade the longer it sets, the “crust” of this pizza may become more watery as time passes.
Watermelon Pizza Variations
This vegan watermelon pizza recipe is exceptionally tasty. However, as not everyone enjoys the same types of fruit as toppings — much like traditional pizzas — you can swap out some of the ingredients with those that your prefer. Following are easy substitutions you can make when creating this delicious fruit pizza recipe:
- I used coconut yogurt to make this a vegan fruit pizza. However, if you aren’t vegan, you can use regular or Greek yogurt in its place.
- Rather than using yogurt to create the fruit pizza “sauce,” try swapping it out with another ingredient all together. You can also use equal parts of softened cream cheese and whipped cream or Cool Whip in place of the yogurt.
- Lots of amazing fruits go well when paired with watermelon — just like fruit salad! Therefore, you can swap out any of the berries called for in this watermelon pizza recipe with lemon soaked apple chunks, orange segments, kiwi, peach chunks or figs. You can also use different berries such as blueberries in place of or in addition to any of the toppings called for in this dessert. Or try cantaloupe, honeydew, segmented mandarin oranges or grapes.
- Want an extra sweet treat? Drizzle the finished dessert with chocolate sauce or caramel. Or, for a healthier alternative, use maple syrup or honey so as to avoid adding unrefined sugars.
- Watermelon goes great with feta cheese! If you eat dairy, then consider adding crumbled feta along with the chosen toppings.
Healthy Fruit Pizza Ingredients
To make this healthy fruit pizza, you will need the following ingredients:
- Watermelon: This serves as the base of the fruit pizza. The larger round the watermelon, the bigger your watermelon pizzas will be. The watermelon is cut crosswise about 2-3″ thick. It’s then cut into triangle slices that resemble pizza slices with the rind acting as the “crust” while the watermelon fruit serves as the base for the pizza “sauce” and “toppings.”
- Coconut Yogurt: To make a vegan watermelon pizza recipe, you must use a plant based yogurt. Therefore, I chose to use coconut yogurt as the “sauce” for this dish to hold the berry toppings on the watermelon slices.
- Berries: Berries serve as the topping for this fruit pizza with yogurt. I specifically used cherries, strawberries, raspberries and black cherries. However, you may make substitutions to these ingredients as desired.
- Fresh Coconut: Coconut flakes or shavings are also used as a topping for this healthy dessert pizza.
How to Make Watermelon Pizza
If you’re tired of eating watermelon the old fashioned way, then let’s spice things up! This watermelon pizza is a fun and fresh way to enjoy watermelon and other healthy fruits all summer long. Here’s how to make a mouth-watering watermelon fruit pizza with yogurt:
1. Use a large, sharp knife to cut the watermelon crosswise. Then slice off a chunk of the watermelon about 2-3 inches thick. (You may also cut additional slices to make additional fruit dessert pizzas. Or simply store the remainder of the watermelon for another use later.)
2. Cut the circle of watermelon into triangles or pizza shaped slices.
3. Then, using the back of a spoon or a silicone spatula, spread a layer of vegan coconut yogurt onto the middle of each slice of watermelon you created.
4. Wash the fruit and dry. Then remove the stems from the strawberries and cut in half.
5. Now place the fresh berries and fruit like on the top of each slice. Add as much or as little as you like. Think of it as a fun fruit salad! Don’t be afraid to get creative or experiment with other types of fruit to expand on this vegan dessert.
6. Finally, sprinkle coconut shavings or flakes on top with the berry topping. This adds a more complex flavor than if you were just using fruit alone.
7. If desired, you can drizzle this sweet summertime dessert with honey or maple syrup just prior to serving. Or add a bit of chocolate or caramel drizzle if you enjoy a bit of extra sweetness.
Serve up this vegan dessert on plates and enjoy with family and friends. And don’t be afraid to go back for seconds! This treat is a much healthier alternative to cakes and cookies as it’s considerably lower in both calories and sugar. As such, you can feel good about serving it to those you love no matter how many helpings they head back for!
This fruit dessert pizza is best served and eaten fresh. However, if you have leftovers, you may refrigerate them for two to three days max. Be sure to cover the leftover tightly with foodservice film or store in an airtight container. Freezing leftovers of this dish is not recommended as watermelon doesn’t freeze well.
Enjoy this mouth-watering watermelon pizza as a delicious treat for summer gatherings or an everyday dessert. This healthy fruit pizza with yogurt and berries will have your tastebuds begging for more. Created as a vegan dessert recipe, this fun party idea is ideal for both kids and adults. If desired, you can drizzle this sweet summertime dessert with honey or maple syrup just prior to serving. Or add a bit of chocolate or caramel drizzle if you enjoy a bit of extra sweetness.
Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 81Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 28mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 14gProtein: 3g
Enjoy this mouth-watering watermelon pizza as a delicious treat for summer gatherings or an everyday dessert. This healthy fruit pizza with yogurt and berries will have your tastebuds begging for more. Created as a vegan dessert recipe, this fun party idea is ideal for both kids and adults.
If desired, you can drizzle this sweet summertime dessert with honey or maple syrup just prior to serving. Or add a bit of chocolate or caramel drizzle if you enjoy a bit of extra sweetness.
What Can I Do With Too Much Watermelon?
Watermelon is best in the summer when it’s in season, but sometimes I buy one with good intentions and then don’t eat as much plain as I think I will. That’s when I use it in recipes like this watermelon pizza with yogurt. If you have extra watermelon that you need to use asap, here are some other great recipe ideas:
- Make a watermelon jicama salad recipe.
- Grill it as a summer treat at barbecues.
- Freeze it to make smoothies or watermelon popsicles.
- Use frozen watermelon as ice cubes for drinks.
- Freeze dry fruit to make watermelon soap.
I hope you enjoy my delicious, vegan summer dessert recipe! For more summertime dessert ideas and recipes for summer, be sure to follow Becca Ink on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram.