Learn how to make gluten free mummy hot dogs for Halloween. This fall recipe is made with homemade flourless, cheesy garlic bread for a delicious, family friendly dinner idea. Try this easy, low carb recipe for your next meal. Or make them for this year’s Halloween party as a spooky and fun appetizer for the holiday.
Halloween Mummy Hot Dogs
Scare up some fun this October with creatively, creepy holiday meal. In this savory Halloween recipe, hot dogs are wrapped in warm homemade, cheesy garlic bread. Unlike other versions of this spooky food idea, I don’t use store bought, refrigerated crescent rolls. Instead, I created a tasty, gluten free version that I baked from scratch. This homemade flourless dough is perfect if you’re watching carbs. But it’s also ideal if you have gluten allergies or sensitivities.
If you’re ready to enjoy a flavorful party snack or seasonal fall dinner, these cheesy garlic bread, mummy hot dogs are a wonderful option! They’re ideal for a potluck party, family celebration or holiday event as they’re easy to make and travel well.
What Are Mummified Hot Dogs?
A mummy hot dog is essentially a bread roll that is shaped like a mummy and filled with meat. It’s quite similar to those old school pigs in a blanket or crescent roll pigs. These halloweenies hot dogs are typically served at Halloween parties. However, they also make a great autumn dinner.
This spooky food is the fun way to get kids to eat — no matter how picky they may be. Keep reading to learn how to make mummy hot dogs for your kids (and kids at heart) for this festive October holiday.
Mummy Dogs Ingredients
Halloween hot dogs are a great way to celebrate the holiday and delight guests of all ages. Here are the ingredients you will need to recreate this kid-friendly recipe:
- Mozzarella cheese: Unlike other recipes for Halloween mummy dogs, this version combines cheese with the bread dough to create cheesy bread with garlic that is reminiscent of pizza crust. Just be sure to check that there’s no added gluten or fillers in the cheese you buy.
- Almond flour: As these Halloween hot dogs are made with flourless dough, almond flour is used in lieu of regular wheat flour. This ingredient also helps to keep this dinner idea and party appetizer low in carbs. So, it’s suitable for those following a keto diet.
- Cream cheese: Rather than using butter and milk, cream cheese is combined with the mozzarella and other ingredients used to make the bread dough.
- Baking powder: This ingredient is used to leaven the bread, increasing the volume and texture. It also produces carbon dioxide when baked. This in turn helps quick breads, such as biscuits and cornbread, rise.
- Xanthan gum: Because this Halloween hot dog recipe is made with almond flour rather than regular wheat flour, xanthan gum is incorporated into the dough to provide elasticity and stickiness that you wouldn’t get otherwise. In addition, it helps to hold in moisture and act as a binding agent for the gluten-free flour. Like baking soda, it also gives baked goods structure.
- Large egg: Eggs are ideal for gluten free baking as they replace many of the functions that gluten provides. This includes enhancing the texture, binding the dough, and improving the texture. They are also rich in protein making them perfect for keto and low carb recipes.
- Spices: Sea salt, onion powder, and garlic powder are used to season the bread dough for these Halloween hot dogs. In combination with the cheese, they create a delicious cheesy garlic bread to wrap around the beef franks instead of using hot dog buns. Not only is this a more flavorful alternative to traditional buns, but by creating your own dough from scratch it allows you to shape it around the meat to mimic the appearance of a mummy. (If you’re interested in buying quality spices in bulk to stretch your budget further, I highly recommend Mountain Rose Herbs.)
- Bun length hot dogs: Any gluten free bun length hot dogs will work for this party food. I prefer all beef franks, however, you pick your favorite brand.
If you’d like to take this tasty dish to the next level, you can also include these additional ingredients:
- Candy Eyes: If you really want to make these mummy hot dogs extra scaretastic, then you can add candy eyeballs to each one. Simply place two dots of ketchup, mayonnaise or mustard onto each Halloween hot dog. Then place a candy eye onto each dot.
- Condiments or Dipping sauce: This meal is delicious plain. However, you can also spice things up a bit by serving it with your favorite dipping sauce or condiments.
Which Hot Dogs are Gluten-Free?
Obviously, if you’re opting for a gluten free recipe, then you want to ensure that the hot dogs for this Halloween recipe are also free of gluten. Following are brands that sell gluten free hot dogs:
- Simple Truth Gluten Free Grass Fed Uncured Beef Hot Dogs
- Hebrew National Beef Franks
- Nathan’s Gluten-Free Famous Bun Length Skinless Beef Franks
- Simple Truth Uncured Turkey Hot Dogs
- Applegate Natural Uncured Beef Hot Dogs
- Oscar Mayer Natural Angus Beef Uncured Franks
- Bar-S Franks Hot Dogs
- Farmer John Wieners
Substitutions and Variations
There are a few substitutions and variations you can make this low carb, gluten free recipe. Whether you need to reduce prep time or want to play around with the flavors, these tips and tricks will help you achieve the perfect Halloween hot dogs!
Save on Prep Time with a Prepared Dough
It’s completely understandable if time is of the essence. Busy families are often overwhelmed. Therefore, cooking a special Halloween dinner can seem like a lot. As you’re making the cheesy crescent roll dough for this recipe from scratch, the combined prep and baking time takes around 45 minutes. However, you can cheat a bit to save time and still create a tasty gluten free meal or party appetizer.
While other recipes for mummy hot dogs call for refrigerated Pillsbury crescent roll dough, Pillsbury unfortunately does not make gluten-free products. Likewise, finding gluten-free refrigerated dough from other brands can also be a challenge. If you don’t need bread without gluten, you may of course use any refrigerated dough you like for this recipe. Simply roll out the dough and prepare as indicated. Then bake according to the package directions.
Otherwise, you can purchase Mom’s Place Gluten Free Crescent Roll Mix. This mix creates soft and fluffy crescent rolls and is wonderful option if you need to save time. Formulated primarily with rice flour, you’ll need to add egg, milk and butter to this mix for preparation along with the mozzarella cheese and spices called for in the recipe. Once mixed, simply roll flat then cut crescent dough strips to wrap around the beef franks. Then bake as indicated on the backside of the package.
Cheese and Topping Swaps
I used mozzarella cheese inside my homemade bread dough to essential create a cheesy bread to wrap around the hot dogs. However, you can also mix a different type of cheese inside. Try cheddar, provolone or another type of cheese instead.
In addition you don’t have to bake the cheese inside the bread. You may also melt the cheese on top of the mummified hot dogs during the last 3-5 minutes of baking time.
For an extra tasty treat, brush the bread dough with butter before baking in the oven. Then top with everything bagel seasoning. Or try brushing the tops of this Halloween treat with dijon mustard.
Kitchen Tools and Equipment
To ensure you’re prepared before you dive into this exciting dish, I’m also providing a list of basic kitchen tools and equipment you’ll need to make these spooky Halloween hot dogs. Here are the other items you will need:
- Large Bowls: You’ll need a large, microwave safe mixing bowl to melt the cheese. You’ll also need a second bowl to mix the additional ingredients necessary to make the cheesy garlic bread dough that will be wrapped around each hot dog.
- Cookie or Baking Sheet: A baking or cookie sheet is used to cook the bread wrapped hot dogs.
- Pizza Cutter or Knife: You’ll use a pizza cutter or a knife to cut the bread dough into thin strips so it can be wrapped around the uncooked beef franks.
- Parchment Paper: Parchment paper is used to assist with rolling out the bread dough. It is also used to line the baking sheet prior to placing the mummy hot dogs in the oven.
- Spatula: A spatula or other utensil in necessary to blend the ingredients for the flourless garlic bread dough with cheese together.
- Rolling Pin or Drinking Glass: A rolling pin or the side of a drinking glass provides an easy assist for rolling out the dough for this Halloween themed food.
How to Make Mummy Hot Dogs
Here is the easiest way to make flourless low carb, mummy hot dogs for Halloween.
Make Flourless Crescent Rolls Dough
You’ll begin by crafting the crescent rolls dough from scratch. Made with cheese and garlic, this bread is amazingly tasty and low in carbs.
1. First combine the shredded mozzarella and cream cheese in a large, microwave safe bowl.
2. Mix thoroughly to combine. Then heat the cheeses in the microwave in 30-second increments until melted. Blend well.
TIP: You’ll want to use a second bowl to combine the rest of the ingredients for the crescent roll dough. As it is chilled after mixing, a hot bowl will hinder the process.
3. Transfer the melted cheese mixture to a second bowl. Now add the almond flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, egg, garlic powder, onion powder. Mix well to combine. Then add salt to taste.
Chill Cheesy Garlic Bread Dough
4. Once the bread dough is made, place it in the refrigerator. Allow it to chill for 30-minutes in preparation to be rolled out and cut into strips.
5. While the dough rests in the fridge, preheat the oven to 350°F.
Roll Out Gluten-Free Bread Dough
6. After the almond flour dough has been chilled for the designated amount of time, remove it from the refrigerator.
7. Tear off two large sheets of parchment paper. Then place the dough in between the two sheets.
8. Next, roll out the dough using either a rolling pin or the side of a drinking glass. You want the dough to be about ¼ of an inch thick.
Cut Dough with Pizza Cutter
9. Remove the top piece of parchment paper from the dough sheet you just flattened.
10. Now use a knife or pizza cutter to cut the dough into long, thin strips or slices.
Wrap Halloween Mummy Dogs with Dough
11. Once the dough is cut, start at the end of each hot dog and wrap the strips around the length of all the franks. You can use multiple strips of dough if necessary depending on how it was rolled out and cut.
I started at the top of each hot dog, then wrapped strips of dough down then back up each one until it resembled a mummy.
Bake Wrapped Hot Dogs
12. Place the wrapped hot dogs onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. (Alternately, you may also prepare the pan with cooking spray.)
13. Bake the Halloween mummy hot dogs in the preheated oven for 20-minutes, or until the bread is golden brown.
Decorate with Candy Eyes
14. If desired, you may also add eyes to each mummy. To do this, place two drops of either ketchup, mayo or mustard onto each hot dog where the eyes would likely be. Then use the condiments like glue to hold the candy eyes in place.
Serve with Dipping Sauces
15. For a more flavorful meal or appetizer, serve this dish with dipping sauce on the side.
TIP: The dipping sauces can be something as simple as mayo, ketchup or mustard. However, you may also consider using barbeque sauce, hot sauce, Chinese hot mustard sauce, cheddar cheese dipping sauce, beer cheese or melted buffalo cheese sauce.
You can also create a spiderweb sauce by adding a complimentary condiment to your main sauce. Simply add several drops of the condiment to the main sauce in a circular pattern. Then use a toothpick to drag the condiment through the dipping sauce in the shape of a spiderweb.
- 1 ½ Cups Mozzarella cheese
- 1 Cup Almond flour
- 2 oz. Cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Xanthan gum
- 1 Large egg
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion powder
- Sea Salt, to taste
- 6 Gluten-Free Bun length hot dogs
- 12 candy eyes, optional
- Condiment of choice, optional
- Combine the shredded mozzarella and cream cheese in a large, microwave safe bowl.
- Mix thoroughly to combine. Then heat the cheeses in the microwave in 30-second increments until melted. Blend well.
- Transfer the melted cheese mixture to a second bowl. Now add the almond flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, egg, garlic powder, onion powder. Mix well to combine. Then add salt to taste.
- Place prepared dough in the refrigerator. Allow it to chill for 30-minutes.
- While the dough rests in the fridge, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- After the gluten-free bread dough has chilled, remove it from the refrigerator.
- Tear off two large sheets of parchment paper. Then place the dough in between the two sheets.
- Roll out the dough using either a rolling pin or the side of a drinking glass. You want the dough to be about ¼ of an inch thick.
- Remove the top piece of parchment paper from the dough sheet you just flattened.
- Now use a knife or pizza cutter to cut the dough into long, thin strips or slices.
- Once the dough is cut, start at the end of each hot dog and wrap the strips around the length of all the franks. Start the top of each hot dog, then wrapped strips of dough down then back up each one until it resembles a mummy.
- Place the wrapped hot dogs onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake the Halloween mummy hot dogs in the preheated oven for 20-minutes, or until the bread is golden brown.
If desired, you may also add eyes to each mummy. To do this, place two drops of either ketchup, mayo or mustard onto each hot dog where the eyes would likely be. Then use the condiments like glue to hold the candy eyes in place.
For a more flavorful meal or appetizer, serve this dish with your choice of dipping sauce on the side.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 451Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 886mgCarbohydrates: 45gNet Carbohydrates: 4gFiber: 6gSugar: 7gProtein: 15g
Halloween Recipes and Party Ideas
I hope you enjoy this creepy and delightfully frightening recipe for Halloween mummy hot dogs. If you’re looking for other ideas for Halloween party food, then be sure to check out these other amazing recipes.
- Slime Cupcakes: Your dinner or party guests will love this fun and easy slime cupcakes recipe! This spooky dessert is filled with homemade edible slime on the inside similar to that of a cream-filled, Halloween snack cake. So, it’s both a creative and tasty way to scare up some fun with an unexpected surprise.
- Ghost Cupcakes: A delicious, sweet and fun treat for kids and adults of all ages. You can make Halloween ghost cupcakes at home using your favorite box cupcake mix, lollipops and fondant.
- Halloween Cakesicles: These colorful pumpkin cakesicles are the fall desserts of dreams. They’re quick to make and even quicker to devour. Perfect for your Halloween parties or autumn gatherings, these popsicle cake pops are made using chocolate box cake mix for a delicious, seasonal fall treat.
- Gourmet Caramel Apples: This easy gourmet caramel apple recipe is the perfect way to enjoy apples when they’re in season. Serve these candy apples as a tasty snack or party treat when entertaining this autumn.
- Halloween Bark Recipe: Make this fun chocolate for your Halloween party. These easy, candy treats are perfect for all your party guests and tricksters. Kids and adults love partaking in these spooky desserts. Plus, everyone can have fun learning how to make them!