Learn how to make this delicious rosemary focaccia bread recipe with almond flour for a flavorful, low carb flatbread to enjoy with dinner. This tasty Italian bread bakes up crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside. So, it’s perfect for dipping into oil or other sauces. In addition, this easy, low carb flatbread recipe doesn’t doesn’t contain yeast. Therefore, it’s quick and easy to make as an appetizer or side dish.
Rosemary Focaccia with Almond Flour
This no yeast focaccia bread with rosemary and almond flour is a staple for those who love bread but prefer a low carb recipe. Typically served as an appetizer with olive oil for dipping, this tasty no yeast keto focaccia also makes a great accompaniment to soups or as a gluten free bread for sandwiches.
I really like this almond flour focaccia bread recipe because it bakes crisp on the outside, but is incredibly light and fluffy on the inside. The crisp outside creates little nooks and crannies for so it holds onto oil and other ingredients when dipping. While the fluffy interior is perfect for making an open faced sandwich. This recipe is seasoned with rosemary for a traditional, savory focaccia bread. However, you can substitute the rosemary with sage, another popular choice.
What is Focaccia Bread?
If you’re familiar with flatbread pizza, then you’ll appreciate focaccia bread. This no yeast low carb focaccia is an Italian flat bread that’s brushed in olive oil and perfect for dipping or topping with various accruements. It tends to be crisp on the outside with an airy, fluffy interior. Traditionally this bread is made from scratch. However, you can also find recipes for using pizza dough to make this delicious side dish.
Focaccia bread is incredibly easy to make. Therefore, it’s an excellent choice as a starter recipe for anyone making bread for the first time. As there’s no yeast, this bread won’t rise like sandwich bread. However, it’s full of flavor and is able to be used in a variety of different ways.
How is Focaccia Different from Bread?
This rosemary focaccia bread is made with almond flour, baking powder, salt, eggs, almond milk and a dash of apple cider vinegar. Unlike most breads, I used almond flour and almond milk to add extra protein. Not only does this make this recipe gluten free, but it also results in fewer net carbs.
This bread has many similarities to pizza dough. However, the final texture of this bread is fluffier in the center. It’s also richer in flavor and tends to be chewier than traditional sandwich bread.
What Type of Bread is Focaccia?
Focaccia bread is a flatbread that’s been oven baked. It’s an Italian bread that’s similar to pizza dough in texture. It’s often seasoned with olive oil, herbs and salt. This almond flour focaccia with rosemary can be used as a pizza crust, appetizer or as a tasty alternative to white sandwich bread.
What is Focaccia Bread Used For?
This no yeast keto focaccia recipe is pretty versatile. You can cut it into strips or squares and dip it in olive oil as an appetizer. For a sandwich, cut it in half and make an open faced sandwich or use both halves of the bread and make a traditional sandwich.
If you miss having crackers or bread with your soup, try eating this rosemary focaccia bread with almond flour dipped in soup. It also pairs nicely with your favorite salad.
Can You Make Focaccia With Almond Flour?
Almond flour is a wonderful substitute for white flour in many recipes. Luckily, this rosemary focaccia bread recipe is among those. As almond flour is gluten free and lower in carbs, you are able to use almond flour to make a gluten free focaccia.
Keep in mind however that almond flour doesn’t work in all gluten free recipes. However, it does perform beautifully in this recipe for making rosemary focaccia from scratch.
Is Almond Flour Focaccia Bread Good for a Diabetic?
Almond flour focaccia bread is a tasty bread alternative for diabetics and those following a low carb or keto diet. Swapping white flour for almond flour lowers the carb content. It’s also made without sugar. Therefore, it’s not likely to raise sugar levels as much as most white bread recipes made with overly processed white flour and sugar.
What is the Best Way to Eat Rosemary Focaccia?
There are several ways to enjoy this no yeast focaccia recipe. Here are some options to try:
- Cut into strips and dip into olive oil.
- Use it as a base to make pizza.
- Dip into soup.
- Cut in half and use as sandwich bread.
- Let dry and use it to make homemade croutons or breadcrumbs.
- Use as a substitute for toast.
Do You Eat Focaccia Hot or Cold?
Although you can eat focaccia cold, this gluten free focaccia is better served hot.
Tips for Making No Yeast Keto Rosemary Focaccia
Here are some tips to use when making your almond flour focaccia bread with rosemary:
- The egg whites need to be stiff. They should not fall off of a spoon when held upside down.
- It will be difficult to fold the stiff egg whites into the dough. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold them in and be patient.
- Bake this rosemary focaccia bread with almond flour in a glass dish for best results.
- Use a high quality olive oil.
- You can replace the rosemary with sage, onions or garlic for the focaccia toppings.
- You can also top this gluten free focaccia with mushrooms, green onions or olives.
- Omit the herbs and top with cinnamon and sugar (or a sugar substitute) for a sweet bread.
- Reheat any leftover almond flour focaccia in the oven for the best results.
I enjoy eating a traditional rosemary focaccia bread recipe. However, you can use other ingredients to flavor this almond flour focaccia. Here are some of the other focaccia toppings you can use on this flatbread:
- Rather than rosemary, try adding mushrooms and sage.
- Caramelized onions and roasted garlic make wonderful toppings for focaccia bread. Try pairing roasted garlic with Parmesan cheese. Or combo caramelized onions with arugula. (Be sure to add the arugula after baking.)
- Increase the fat and protein in this recipe by adding mozzarella, parmesan, or feta cheese to the top during the last few minutes of baking.
- Pesto and sun dried tomatoes are a great alternative to cherry tomatoes and rosemary.
- If you enjoy meats with your bread, create a hearty appetizer by adding prosciutto, bacon or salami.
- Thinly sliced potatoes, zucchini or squash are delicious seasonal veggies that can be used for focaccia toppings.
- Add olives for a Mediterranean flavor.
- Some people even decorate their flatbread by topping it with flowers and herbs to create a beautiful design on the top of the bread. This makes for a lovely presentation at dinner parties.
Rosemary Focaccia Bread Ingredients
You will need the following ingredients to make this rosemary focaccia bread recipe:
- Almond flour is a good substitute for white flour to make gluten free focaccia.
- Baking powder adds volume and helps the no yeast keto focaccia rise.
- Salt adds flavor and helps bring out the other flavors.
- Eggs help this no yeast focaccia recipe rise.
- Almond milk is the liquid to incorporate the dry ingredients. (Learn how to make homemade almond milk here.)
- Apple cider vinegar adds flavor and texture to this Italian flatbread.
- Cherry tomatoes are optional, but they taste great with the rosemary called for in this recipe.
- Fresh rosemary leaves give this gluten free flatbread a fresh flavor. You can also use dried herbs. However, fresh herbs will taste better.
- Extra virgin olive oil adds texture and flavor to the bread. Use a high quality oil, such as this one, for the best results.
How to Make Rosemary Focaccia Bread with Almond Flour
Follow these steps to make my my rosemary focaccia bread recipe:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9×13 inch glass dish with parchment paper.
2. Place the almond flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
3. Beat an egg and add it, the almond milk and the apple cider vinegar to the flour. Stir until the dough is smooth. Set aside.
4. Separate the whites of the eggs of the four eggs that are left. Place the whites in a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer until you get stiff peaks.
5. Gently fold the egg whites into the dough. Be patient and keep working until it is combined.
6. Spread the batter evenly into the glass pan. Don’t worry if it doesn’t touch the edge because the dough will grow as it bakes.
7. Combine the olive oil and rosemary leaves and let sit for 5 minutes. Brush over the top of the vegan focaccia bread.
8. Cut cherry tomatoes in half and place on top of the dough. Top with salt flakes.
9. Bake the Italian flatbread for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
10. Let cool and then transfer to a serving dish. Serve warm.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 472Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 35gCholesterol: 155mgSodium: 1281mgCarbohydrates: 14gNet Carbohydrates: 7gFiber: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 17g
How Long Does Homemade Focaccia Bread Last?
For the best flavor, I recommend that you eat this rosemary focaccia bread recipe fresh, the same day that you make it. However, you can store leftovers in a sealed bag or container for several days.
Fortunately, this flatbread won’t go stale as quickly as other breads. This is due primarily to its high oil content. To save leftovers, store this almond flour focaccia for two days at room temperature.
If you aren’t able to finish this flatbread right away, you can freeze the leftovers to maintain freshness. To freeze this rosemary focaccia bread, allow it to cool completely. Then wrap it in plastic wrap. Place the wrapped flatbread in a freezer bag, then place in the freezer.
When you’re ready to enjoy this almond flour focaccia, simply allow it to thaw at room temperature. Then place it on a baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, then bake until warm.
How Do You Use Leftover Rosemary Focaccia?
This no yeast focaccia recipe is best served fresh. However, if you have leftovers you can reheat them in the oven. Alternately, you can also cut the gluten free focaccia to make gluten free croutons or breadcrumbs to top salads or other dishes.
If you enjoy cooking and baking with almond flour, then be sure to try these other gluten free recipes. Or check out these amazing dinner ideas to pair with this almond flour focaccia bread. You can also follow Becca Ink on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram for more great recipes.