Learn how to make pumpkin cheesecake brownies with box mix. These delish pumpkin brownies make a perfect fall dessert with a rich chocolate flavor, a creamy pumpkin cheesecake layer and a pecan streusel topping. These semi-homemade fall treats start with a box of brownie mix, so they are easy to make.
Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars With Streusel Topping
Although I eat a fairly healthy diet almost all the time, I do like to indulge sometimes. When I do indulge, I want to make sure it’s a delicious recipe that’s worthy of indulging. These pumpkin cheesecake bars are delicious fall treats, and they taste like fall with each bite. The bottom layer is a rich brownie, and it’s topped with pumpkin cheesecake and pecan streusel.
I try not to eat too much sugar because sugar is a trigger for inflammation. My fibromyalgia is mostly under control, but I do have to watch what I eat to make sure it stays under control. I have several sugar free healthy recipes posted here for healthy options, but each year I make these pumpkin cheesecake swirled brownies.
These pumpkin cheesecake brownies with box mix are perfect for taking to a party for fall treats.. Then I can satisfy my craving and my sweet tooth, but I’m not stuck with a whole pan. Everyone loves this fall dessert, and now it’s my go to for pumpkin desserts to take to a party.
Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars Tips and Variations
These pumpkin cheesecake bars with streusel toppings are easier to make than they look. While I like the recipe as is, you can make this your own fall dessert recipe by using some variations. Here are some tips and variations for making pumpkin cheesecake swirled brownies:
- Since these are pumpkin cheesecake brownies with box mix, it’s important to start with a good box mix. I prefer the chewy and fudgy brownies, but use your favorite box.
- You can also make homemade brownies to make pumpkin cheesecake bars.
- Use canned pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling for the pumpkin cheesecake layer for pumpkin desserts..
- You will use half of a can of pumpkin to make pumpkin cheesecake bars. You can freeze the rest of the pumpkin to make these later.
- You can add pecans or other nuts to the brownie batter when you make delish pumpkin brownies.
- Add chocolate chips to the brownie batter for extra chocolate.
- Use a toothpick to swirl the cheesecake layer. You want to swirl the top one-third to one-half of the brownies.
- Replace the pumpkin puree with apple butter or raspberry preserves.
- For a vanilla fall dessert, use an extra 2 ounces of cream cheese and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste.
- Make layered pumpkin cheesecake brownies by putting half of the brownie batter in the pan. Then add the pumpkin cheesecake layer. Finally, add the other half of the brownie batter.
Toppings for Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirled Brownies
I make my pumpkin cheesecake bars with streusel topping. However, you can also use any of these other toppings with this recipe:
- Chocolate chips
- White chocolate chips
- Chocolate sauce
- Caramel sauce
- Dulce de leche
- Candied nuts
- Ice cream
Baking Tips for Box Mix Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies
For perfect pumpkin cheesecake swirled brownies, follow these tips to bake up the perfect box mix brownies with cheesecake swirl:
- Line your pan with parchment paper. This makes it easy to remove the pumpkin cheese bars from the pan to cut for serving.
- Use a 7×11 pan for thinner pumpkin cheesecake brownies or an 8×8 pan for thicker brownies.
- Use a hand mixer for the pumpkin cheesecake layer. Mixing by hand will be difficult to get the cream cheese and pumpkin fully mixed.
- These pumpkin cheesecake bars with streusel topping are done when the edges start to turn brown. If the middle is a little soft, it will firm up as the brownies cool.
Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies Ingredients
To make pumpkin cheesecake brownies with box mix, you will need the following ingredients:
- Boxed brownie mix: Prepare it according to the package directions but do not bake.
- Cream cheese: Let soften at room temperature.
- Canned pumpkin puree
- White sugar
- Brown sugar
- Pumpkin pie spice: I recommend the spices from Mountain Rose Herbs.
- Chopped pecans
- Melted butter
How to Make Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies With Box Mix
Follow these directions to make pumpkin cheesecake swirled brownies using box mix:
1. Start by preheating the oven to the temperature indicated on the boxed brownie mix you chose for this fall dessert recipe.
2. While the oven preheats, line either a 7×11 or 8×8 pan with natural parchment paper. Alternately you can also spray the pan with olive oil or another non-stick cooking spray.
3. Now prepare the box of brownie mix according to the package directions. Once mixed, pour all but 1/2 cup of the brownie batter into the prepared pan. The reserved brownie batter will be used for the pecan streusel topping.
4. Next, combine the cream cheese, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, white sugar, egg and pumpkin pie spice in small bowl. Mix the ingredients together to make the pumpkin and cheesecake layer for these pumpkin cheesecake swirled brownies.
5. Now pour the pumpkin cheesecake layer over the brownie batter. Use a spatula to smooth out the cheesecake topping so it is uniform in the pan.
Next, drop the reserved ½ cup of brownie batter by the spoonful over the cheesecake layer. Then use a toothpick or a small utensil to swirl the cheesecake layer into the brownie batter.
6. Finally, make the streusel topping for this pumpkin dessert. To do this, combine the pecans, brown sugar, flour, melted butter and pumpkin pie spice together in a small bowl. Mix well.
7. Now sprinkle the streusel topping for the pumpkin cheesecake bars on top of the brownie batter.
8. Bake the brownies for about 55 minutes in the oven, or until the edges start to turn brown.
9. Once baked, allow the fall brownie treats to completely cool. Cut the pumpkin cheesecake brownies into bars when they have cooled. Then serve.
For the Pumpkin Cheesecake Layer
- 1 Box brownie mix, made according to package directions
- ½ Cup softened cream cheese
- ½ Cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
For the Pecan Streusel Topping
- ½ Cup chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
How to Make Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake Bars
- Preheat the oven to the temperature indicated on your boxed brownie mix.
- Line a 7x11 or 8x8 pan with natural parchment paper or spray with olive
- Prepare the box of brownie mix according to the package directions. Pour
into the prepared pan, but reserve ½ cup of brownie batter for the
- In a small bowl, use a hand mixer to make the cheesecake layer.
Combine cream cheese, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, white sugar, egg
and pumpkin pie spice.
- Pour the cheesecake layer over the brownie batter and smooth out. Drop
the reserved ½ cup of brownie batter by the spoonful over the
cheesecake layer. Use a toothpick to swirl the cheesecake layer
into the brownie batter.
How to Make Pecan Streusel Topping
- Next make the streusel topping by combining the pecans, brown sugar, flour, melted butter and pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the streusel mix on top of the brownies.
- Bake for about 55 minutes or until the edges start to turn brown.
- Let cook completely, then cut into pumpkin cheesecake bars.
Serving Size:1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 92Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 45mgCarbohydrates: 7gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 1g
How to Store This Pumpkin Dessert
You can store these pumpkin cheesecake bars with streusel topping at room temperature on the counter for up to three days. Store them in an airtight container.
You can also store this fall dessert in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
For longer storage, cool the brownies completely and then wrap in plastic wrap. Place the wrapped pumpkin cheesecake swirled brownies in a freezer bag or wrap in aluminum foil and freeze for up to 3 months.
More Pumpkin Dessert Recipes
If you like this box mix pumpkin dessert recipe, then be sure to try these other fall recipes for delicious pumpkin desserts:
Or try my delicious recipe for vegan zucchini brownies.
This recipe originally appeared on Soap Deli News.