How to make a delicious moist poppy seed cake recipe from scratch. This vegan recipe for lemon poppy seed loaf cake is one of the best light desserts for spring or summer. Serve it at brunch, as a spring dessert recipe or as a plant based snack. This easy recipe has lemon juice and lemon zest and poppy seeds for a delicious flavor. It’s dairy free and egg free, so it’s a good citrus dessert for those with food allergies.
Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf Cake
If you are looking for a spring dessert recipe, look no further than this lemon poppy seed pound cake recipe. This vegan cake has a moist cake-like texture, but it’s easy to prepare and easy to serve since it’s made in a loaf pan.
I like to make this lemon poppy seed pound cake as a plant based snack. It makes a delicious mid afternoon snack, but I’ve also made it as a spring dessert recipe. The lemon zest gives it a true lemon flavor, and the lemon juice gives it a little bit of tang.
This lemon poppy seed loaf cake does have some sugar in it, but the lemon taste really shines through in this citrus dessert. If you prefer a sweeter lemon poppy seed cake, dust powdered sugar on top after you make it.
This is the best light dessert for spring or summer, and one of my favorite citrus dessert recipes. It’s perfect for a vegan brunch or a light lunch or a light dessert after dinner. Plus it’s great for outdoor garden parties and small events.
How to Bake with Poppy Seeds
If you’ve never baked a cake or dessert recipe with poppy seeds, I’ve provided helpful information on how to bake with poppy seeds. Keep reading for answers to common questions on how to bake with poppy seeds as well as the best way to use poppy seeds to make a lemon poppy seed loaf cake.
Do I Have to Soak Poppy Seeds Before Baking?
Yes, you should soak poppy seeds before baking your lemon poppy seed pound cake. This helps soften the tough outer part of the seed. This helps release the flavor of the seeds during baking.
To soak poppy seeds, warm the almond milk that you use in the recipe and soak the seeds. Let them soak until the milk is room temperature. Then add the milk and the seeds to the bowl without straining.
Do Poppy Seeds Go Bad?
Poppy seeds are good for up to four years. While poppy seeds do not spoil, they will start to lose their flavor. It’s best to store them in the fridge for optimal flavor for this lemon poppy seed pound cake.
What Can Replace Poppy Seeds in a Recipe?
If you don’t have poppy seeds, you can still make this spring dessert recipe. You can use black sesame seeds in place of the poppy seeds. They have a nuttier flavor, but they make a good substitute. You can also use chia seeds for more crunch.
Are Poppy Seeds Good For You?
Yes, poppy seeds are good for you. They are a good source of healthy fats and fiber. They also have calcium and magnesium. This lemon poppy seed loaf cake is a delicious way to add poppy seeds to your diet.
What Do Poppy Seeds Taste Like?
Poppy seeds have a nutty and almost sweet flavor. They pair well with lemon and other citrus fruits, and they bring a new level of flavor to this lemon poppy seed loaf cake recipe.
How Do You Make Lemon Poppy Seed Cake From Scratch?
This lemon poppy seed cake is easy to make from scratch as an egg and dairy free vegan dessert recipe. It is more like a quick bread, so you don’t need yeast. It raises thanks to the baking powder and the baking soda. It uses both the juice and the zest from a lemon for a citrus dessert with real lemons, using only plant based ingredients.
What’s the Secret to a Moist Cake?
There are several tricks that will help you make a delicious moist poppy seed cake recipe. Don’t overmix this batter because that can create air pockets that will deflate and cause a dense cake.
Be careful not to overbake your lemon poppy seed cake recipe. Check on it two minutes before it should be ready. The edges should pull away from the edge of the pan slightly. Be sure to do the toothpick test to make sure that it’s done.
Can I Make Lemon Poppy Seed Cake With Sour Cream?
Yes, you can make this lemon poppy seed loaf cake with sour cream, assuming you don’t need a vegan dessert recipe. Adding sour cream to the recipe helps make a cake light and moist. Add two tablespoons of sour cream to the wet ingredients. There’s no need to make any more adjustments to the recipe.
How Do I Make Lemon Poppy Seed Cake With Cake Mix?
Yes, you can make a lemon poppy seed cake recipe with a cake mix. The recipe will be different as it does include both dairy and eggs, however it is easier to make. To use a cake mix, do not follow the directions on the back of the box.
Instead, add the following to a medium sized bowl to make lemon poppy seed cake with cake mix:
- 1 lemon cake mix
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Than bake the cake as directed using the instructions found on the back of the box.
How to Freeze a Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
You can make this lemon poppy seed cake ahead of time for an event and freeze the cake prior to serving. Following is information on how to freeze a lemon loaf cake and tips and tricks for freezing this fresh citrus dessert.
Does Lemon Cake Freeze Well?
Yes, this lemon poppy seed loaf cake will freeze well. You can freeze it up to three months for best results.
How Do You Freeze a Lemon Loaf?
You can freeze this lemon dessert either by the loaf or by the slice. Let it cool completely after baking. Then wrap the entire loaf or each slice with a double layer of plastic wrap. Then place the wrapped loaf or pieces in a freezer bag. Label it with the contents and the date.
Thaw this vegan lemon poppy seed cake on the counter at room temperature.
Does Freezing a Cake Make it More Moist?
Some bakers freeze their cakes for a few hours to make them more moist. This is a delicious moist poppy seed cake recipe, so you won’t need to freeze it before serving.
Baking Tips For The Best Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
To create a delicious spring dessert with citrus, follow these baking tips for the best lemon poppy seed cake:
- Do not overmix this lemon poppy seed cake recipe. Overmixing will cause it to get dense.
- You can substitute black sesame seeds or chia seeds for the poppy seeds, but poppy seeds pair best with lemon desserts.
- Soak the poppy seeds in almond milk to soften the outer layer for best flavor.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sour cream or unflavored Greek yogurt for a delicious moist poppy seed cake recipe.
- Do not overbake. Overbaking will make this cake dense.
- You can use regular milk for the almond milk if desired.
- Use fresh lemon juice and fresh zest for best results for the best lemon poppy seed cake.
Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf Cake Ingredients
Here are the ingredients that you need to make a lemon poppy seed cake recipe:
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Granulated sugar
- Almond milk
- Vegetable oil
- Lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Fresh lemon zest
- Vanilla extract
- Poppy seeds
How to Make a Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf Cake
Here is how to make a delicious moist poppy seed cake recipe:
- Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. While oven preheats, grease a loaf pan with butter or cooking oil, then dust the greased loaf pan with flour.
- Next, gently heat the almond milk in the microwave at reduced power until hot. Take care not to allow the almond milk to boil.
- Then add the poppy seeds to the heated almond milk. Allow the poppy seeds to soak until the milk is almost room temperature.
- While the poppy seeds soak, juice and zest two small organic lemons.
- Now add the almond milk with the poppy seeds, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice to a medium sized bowl. Use a whisk to combine to mix the ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix with a whisk to evenly combine the dry ingredients.
- Then add the dry loaf cake mixture to the bowl of wet ingredients, Stir well, until mixture is uniform and no clumps remain.
- Pour the lemon poppy seed cake batter into the prepared loaf pan. Tap the pan gently on the counter to release air bubbles that may be in the cake batter.
- Bake the lemon poppy seed loaf cake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven. The cake is is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow this spring dessert cake to cool on a cooling rack. Then unmold from the loaf pan. Slice and serve.
Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 306mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 20gProtein: 4g
If you like this lemon dessert recipe, then be sure to try my other homemade dessert recipes.