Discover the best carrier oils for your hair care routine. Learn how carrier oils benefit your hair and scalp and discover how to choose the best oils for hair health based on your unique hair needs. Plus get information on using carrier oils to create your own DIY hair care recipes.
As different oils have different benefits, this post will instruct you on how to choose the best oils for the health of your hair based on your hair type. This information can then be used to help you create custom, natural hair care products. I even share a simple hair growth oil recipe for you to try in order to help you get started!
What Are Carrier Oils?
Carrier oils are oils that carry other ingredients. They are often vegetable oils or nut oils, but there are a few made from animals (emu oil is a popular animal carrier oil). Most carrier oils for hair care are inexpensive, so they are often used to carry more expensive ingredients, such as essential oils. Essential oils must be diluted before using, so you can use a carrier oil to dilute it before you apply it to your skin or your hair.
Different carrier oils also have different benefits for your hair. Some oils are more nourishing for damaged hair, and others are lighter oils that are good for oily hair so it doesn’t get too greasy. The best carrier oils for hair care really depends on your hair type.
How Do Carrier Oils Benefit Hair and Scalp?
Carrier oils can benefit your hair and scalp when you use them in hair care products. Carrier oils can be added to shampoo, conditioner, hair masks, styling products or serums. You can also combine two or more carrier oils to create the best oils for hair health for your unique hair and scalp needs.
Carrier oil benefits for hair include:
- Carrier oils for hair care are natural emollients, so they soften and condition hair.
- Using oils topically on your hair smooths the hair cuticle so hair is smoother and reduces frizz.
- Oils can add luster and shine. For curly hair, they help define curl patterns.
- Using carrier oils for hair creates a temporary barrier on the surface of the hair to protect our hair from pollution, dust and styling products.
- Some carrier oils for hair reduce your hair’s porosity, which helps reduce damage and prevents breakage.
- Oils can penetrate the hair shaft to block water from entering, which can cause frizzy or dull hair.
- Certain carrier oils for hair soothe an irritated scalp or reduce flakes on your scalp.
- Carrier oils contain vitamins, minerals, fatty acids and antioxidants that can nourish your scalp.
What Carrier Oils are Good for Hair Care?
The best oils for hair health depends on your hair’s needs. Some oils are better suited for dry hair or damaged hair, but others are better for oily hair. It’s important to choose the right oil for your hair because a heavy oil can leave oily hair even oilier, and a light oil won’t help damaged hair very much.
Best Carrier Oils for Hair Care and Health
There are several oils that you can use on your hair. Some of the best oils for hair health include:
- Argan Oil: Argan oil is one of the most popular carrier oils for hair care. It’s high in fatty acids and is very moisturizing for dry hair, but it’s not too oily for normal to oily hair. Argan oil is good to use in a deep conditioner, hair serum, shampoo, or conditioner.
- Jojoba Oil: Jojoba oil is actually a liquid wax and not an oil, but it’s commonly one of the best oils for hair health. Jojoba oil doesn’t penetrate the shaft of the hair, so it sits on top. It helps smooth hair and prevent frizz. It makes an excellent hair serum or leave-in conditioner.
- Camellia Seed Oil: Camellia seed oil is high in Vitamins A and E and squalene. It softens hair and smooths the outer layer to prevent frizz. It’s good for a hot oil treatment, shampoo, hair mask, or hair serum.
Best Carrier Oils for Hair Growth
Carrier oils for hair growth help protect the hair to prevent damage and breakage. Over time, you may see stronger and thicker hair. These oils include:
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is excellent for very dry or damaged hair, and it can protect the hair from breakage. It can penetrate the shaft of the hair to make hair stronger and prevent breakage. Coconut oil is often used alone as a pre-wash treatment or hair mask. You can buy both regular coconut oil, which is solid at room temperature, as well as fractionated coconut oil, which is always liquid.
- Castor Oil: Castor oil is one of the best carrier oils for hair care. It’s a thick oil that coats the hair to make hair appear thicker and fuller. It’s often used in deep conditioning treatments, hair masks and in shampoos. This ingredient is perfect for a hair mask recipe for hair growth.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is a popular carrier oil for hair because it’s inexpensive and easy to find. It contains natural antioxidants to prevent hair loss caused by free radicals. It’s often used as a hot oil treatment, serum or in shampoos.
What is the Best Carrier Oil to Mix With Essential Oil for Hair Care?
There are many great carrier oils you can mix with essential oils for hair. At the end of the day, however, it comes down to your hair type and your hair care needs. Following are the best carrier oils for each hair type.
- Grapeseed Oil
- Argan Oil
- Jojoba Oil
- Apricot Kernel Oil
- Pumpkin Seed Oil
- Moringa Oil
- Castor Oil
- Evening Primrose Oil
- Coconut OIl
- Avocado Oil
- Sweet Almond Oil
Best Essential Oils for Hair Care
Essential oils, like carrier oils, also offer a number of benefits for hair. As essential oils are highly concentrated, they should be diluted in a carrier oil prior to use.
- Clary Sage: Clary sage essential oil can make hair stronger and promote hair growth. (Learn ways to use clary sage for hair here.)
- Peppermint: Peppermint essential oil can stimulate the scalp and hair follicles. It also boosts blood circulation, which brings oxygen and nutrients to the area. Peppermint is cooling, so use it in small amounts well diluted.
- Lavender: Lavender essential oil is said to promote skin cell generation to make hair grow faster. It’s also antimicrobial to improve scalp health.
- Tea Tree: Tea tree oil is also antimicrobial. When used topically, it can improve scalp health and reduce bacteria and other microbes that can block the hair follicles.
- Ylang Ylang: Ylang ylang essential oil can help balance oil production on your scalp. It’s good for dry scalp because it helps stimulate oil production.
- Rosemary: Rosemary essential oil is said to boost cellular generation to promote new hair growth. It helps dilate blood vessels on the scalp so the scalp can get oxygen and nutrients to grow hair.
- Lemongrass: Lemongrass essential oil can make hair follicles stronger and reduce dandruff. It’s also an astringent that can help keep your hair clean.
- Thyme: Thyme essential oil can stimulate the scalp to prevent hair loss. Thyme is a strong oil, so it should be used in a low concentration in a carrier oil.
- Cedarwood: Cedarwood essential oil can help balance oil production on your scalp. It is antimicrobial, so it can help reduce dandruff.
- Bergamot: Bergamot essential oil can naturally kill microbes on your scalp to promote scalp health.
Use your favorite essential oils for hair with carrier oils suited for your hair type. I recommend using your favorite essential oils for hair diluted in your carrier oil of choice. Alternately you can also add essential oils to your homemade shampoo and conditioner or DIY detangling spray.
DIY Essential Oil Blends
Not sure how to create your own essential oil blends for hair? Try one of these essential oil blends to use with your preferred carrier oil:
- For dry or damaged hair: 1 clary sage essential oil + 1 rosemary essential oil + 1 lavender essential oil
- For hair growth: 10 drops lavender essential oil + 5 drops rosemary essential oil + 5 drops tea tree oil +2 drops basil essential oil
- For oily hair: 1 drop sweet orange essential oil +1 drop peppermint essential oil +1 drop thyme essential oil
Essential Oil Blends for Hair You Can Buy
Not many places sell essential oil blends specifically for hair care. However, you can buy premade blends comprised of essential oils for hair and a carrier oil. These hair care products include the following:
- Healthy Hair Essential Oil Blend: The Healthy Hair essential oil blend from Essential Herb helps to promote hair growth and thickness and stimulate hair follicles. This undiluted blend is formulated using a combination of rosemary, Cedarwood, ylang ylang, clary sage, sage, lavender, and thyme essential oils. It can be added to your shampoo and conditioner as well as your favorite hair treatments.
- Rejuvenating Scalp Oil: This scalp oil from Long Hair Village is formulated to promote scalp health. Made with using castor oil and other several carrier oils base, this hair oil also contains an essential oil blend of cedarwood, thyme, peppermint, rosemary, clary sage, ylang ylang and lavender. It can help soothe dry scalp and dandruff, promote hair growth, and help with thinning hair. (Discover another natural remedy for thinning hair on women here.)
- Hair Loss Essential Oil Blend: This hair loss oil from Fusion Essentials features a blend of rosemary, geranium, lavender, cypress, juniper berry and saw palmetto in a base of argan and avocado oils with vitamin E. It’s developed to help reduce symptoms of hair fallout, hair loss, and premature baldness. (Learn more about the factors that contribute to hair loss here.)
- Essential Oil Hair Spray: This mermaid hair spray from Collectively Oil Co is formulated using natural ingredients and a blend of essential oils for hair to help grow thicker, fuller hair. It can also help reduce hair fallout and excess shedding. Boasting results in as little as 6 weeks, this product contains an essential oil blend of lavender, cedarwood, and rosemary essential oil in a witch hazel and water base.
To purchase single essential oils to care for your hair, as well as quality organic carrier oils, to create your own hair care blends I recommend purchasing ingredients from Mountain Rose Herbs.
How to Mix Essential Oils for Hair Growth
If you aren’t able to purchase a hair oil with essential oils that meet your needs, you can create your own! It’s easy to mix essential oils with a carrier oil to create a hair oil for hair growth. Here is how you mix essential oils for hair growth:
- Since the carrier oil and essential oil will be on your scalp, it’s recommended that you use a 1 percent dilution. That means you will use 6 drops of essential oils per ounce of carrier oils.
- As most essential oil blends will have more than 6 drops, I recommend creating a master blend in a 10 mL amber bottle or an empty 15 ml essential oil bottle. Then you can combine the oils and use the recommended amount.
- You can make more than one ounce at a time, but use 6 drops of essential oils per ounce of carrier oil.
Hair Growth Oil Recipe for Hair Care
Use this recipe with carrier oils to promote hair growth and improve hair health.
Ingredients for Hair Growth Serum
You will need the following ingredients to make this hair growth oil recipe:
- 4 ounces castor oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 5 drops rosemary essential oil
- 5 drops tea tree oil
- 2 drops basil essential oil
How to Make Hair Growth Oil
To make this hair growth oil using carrier oils and essential oils for hair, follow these steps:
- To make a hair growth oil, combine carrier oils for hair growth and essential oils in a small container. Stir well to combine.
- Place 2 to 3 drops of the hair growth oil on the palm and your hand and rub your hands together.
- Then rub the hair oil on your hair and massage into your scalp. Use more oil as needed.
If desired, you can substitute the carrier oil to make this hair growth serum with one of your choice. In addition, you can also substitute the essential oils called for in this hair care recipe with a different essential oil blend. I recommend using 24 drops of essential oil to four ounces of the carrier oil of your choice.
In addition, you can also use this essential oil blend to create your own hair growth mask recipe.
More Ways to Care for Hair
For more ways to naturally care for your hair, try some of these other natural hair care recipes and tips:
- Herbal Hair Conditioner Recipe
- Leave In Hair Conditioner Recipe
- Natural Ways to Grow Hair Faster
- Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Rinse Recipe
- DIY Hair Masks (For Every Hair Type)
- Best Hair Growth Supplements
- How to Use Hydrosols for Hair
- DIY Hair Lightener Spray
- Benefits of Henna for Hair
- Moisturizing Hair Mask Recipe
- Dry Shampoo Recipe
- Solid Shampoo Bar Recipe
This post on carrier oils for hair originally appeared on Soap Deli News.