Learn how to make alfredo zucchini noodles with a delicious homemade sauce. This keto-friendly dish is full of flavor. It’s an easy low carb recipe that’s perfect for dinner after a busy day. Even though the sauce is homemade, it’s an easy homemade alfredo sauce that only requires a few ingredients to make for the perfect zucchini noodle alfredo.
Alfredo Zucchini Noodles
Zucchini noodles are a great substitute for pasta because zucchini has a mild flavor. Zucchini has a lot of water in it, and therefore doesn’t have a strong flavor on its own. This summer squash takes on the flavor or the other ingredients in this zucchini noodles recipe.
Zucchini noodle alfredo is easy to make. You’ll just need to spiralize your zucchini and then make your homemade alfredo sauce recipe. If you’ve never made homemade alfredo sauce with milk, then you might be surprised at how easy it is to make.
This is a one pan meal that you can make in about half an hour. After a long summer day, that’s about as much time as I want to spend cooking dinner. Learn how to make zucchini noodles alfredo for a light vegetarian and low carb dinner.
How Many Calories are in Alfredo Sauce?
Calorie counts vary by brand, but jarred alfredo sauce usually has about 500 calories per ¼ cup serving. If you’re eating it as a main dish, then you’ll have 1000 or more calories just in the sauce!
By contrast, this homemade alfredo sauce recipe has only about 187 calories per 1/4 cup sized serving. Since you make this easy homemade alfredo sauce from scratch, you can control the ingredients and it doesn’t have preservatives or artificial flavors or colors.
Is Alfredo Sauce Healthy?
The alfredo sauce that you buy in the store in a jar isn’t a healthy choice. It’s often high in fat, calories and sodium. However, these zoodles with white pasta sauce have a homemade sauce that’s lightened up. There are no fillers, no dyes, no artificial flavors and it’s lower in calories, fat and sodium. It is also high in protein and vitamin D.
How Do You Make Alfredo Sauce From Scratch?
If you’ve been buying jarred sauce for years, you’ll be surprised at how easy it is to make a homemade alfredo sauce with milk from scratch. You’ll just need to saute garlic in butter and add a thickener. Then add heavy cream and milk and simmer for a few minutes. Finally, add the cheese and wait for it to melt.
What Can I Use Instead of Heavy Cream for Alfredo Sauce?
You really need the higher fat content in the cream to make these zoodles with alfredo sauce. However, you can use coconut cream for a non-dairy option.
How Many Carbs Do Zucchini Noodles Have?
One cup of this zucchini noodles recipe has about 3.4 grams of carbs. Of that, 1.1 grams of carbs is fiber. Therefore, they are a great choice for a keto diet.
Are Zoodles Healthy?
Yes, a zucchini noodles recipe is a healthy choice. Each 1 cup serving has 19 calories, 1.5 grams of protein, 3.4 grams of carbs and 0 grams of fat. In addition, zucchini also has potassium. Vitamin C and calcium.
How to Prepare Zoodles
You can make one of several kinds of shapes to make zoodles with alfredo sauce. Here is how to prepare zoodles for this vegetarian recipe:
- Make curly zoodles that resemble spaghetti using a spiralizer. These are easy to make, and you can use the tool on sweet potatoes and other foods.
- You can also make angel hair zoodles with a julienne peeler. This tool is inexpensive, and it’s a great way to make zucchini noodles alfredo without a big investment in a spiralizer.
- For zucchini fettuccine noodles, use a mandolin slicer. Once you slice the zucchini, use a knife to cut them to make a zucchini noodles recipe.
How Do You Dry Out Zoodles
Since zucchini is about 95 percent water, you’ll need to dry out your zoodles before you make this vegetarian zucchini noodles recipe. To do this, line a cookie sheet with paper towels. Sprinkle salt on the zoodles and stir gently. Lay the zoodles on the paper towels and let rest for 30 minutes.
The paper towels will absorb more of the water. Place new paper towels on top of the zucchini noodles and press down firmly to absorb excess water.
Should I Salt Zoodles Before Cooking?
Yes, I recommend salting your zucchini noodles recipe. This helps remove excess water so your alfredo zucchini noodles don’t get soggy.
How to Make Zoodles Without a Spiralizer
If you make this vegetarian zucchini noodles recipe often, I recommend getting a spiralizer. However, you can also use a mandolin slicer or a julienne peeler to make a zucchini noodles recipe.
What is the Texture of Zoodles?
This zucchini noodle alfredo has a similar texture to an alfredo dish made with pasta. Zoodles have a firm texture like al dente pasta.
How Do You Make Zucchini Noodles Not Soggy?
I recommend salting your zucchini noodles recipe before cooking to remove excess water. You can also toss the zoddles in the homemade alfredo sauce recipe and remove from heat. The zoodles won’t cook as long and will be firmer.
Can You Freeze Zucchini Noodles?
It’s safe to freeze zucchini to make alfredo zucchini noodles later, however it’s not recommended. They will be watery and limp when you thaw them.
How Do You Cook Frozen Zoodles So They Don’t Get Soggy?
If you freeze your zucchini noodles recipe, place the zoodles in a steamer basket and dunk in boiling water for 1 minute. Then remove from the water and let drain before using in your zucchini noodle alfredo.
How Long Do You Boil Zoodles?
You should boil zoodles for 1 minute so they don’t get soggy. However, we will just cook the zoodles in the homemade alfredo sauce recipe. You can also pour the warmed up easy homemade alfredo sauce over the zoodles to cook them slightly.
Zucchini Alfredo Ingredients
To make zoodles with alfredo sauce, you will need the following ingredients:
- Small to medium size zucchinis
- Heavy cream
- Whole Milk
- Parmesan, romano and asiago cheese blend
- Fine ground sea salt
- Ground Pepper
How to Cook Zoodles With Alfredo Sauce
Follow these steps to make this vegetarian zucchini noodles recipe with white sauce:
1. To make zucchini noodles alfredo, first spiralize the zucchini. If you’d like to dry the zucchini first to remove the excess water, toss with salt once cut. Then lay the zoodles on paper towels on a cookie sheet and allow to rest for 30 minutes. After which, use paper towels to squeeze out excess water.
2. While the zoodles are drying, prepare the homemade alfredo sauce with milk. To do this, melt the butter over medium heat in a large skillet.
3. Mince the garlic, then add to the melted butter. Allow to cook for about 1 minute, or until the garlic is fragrant.
4. Now whisk in the flour. (Alternately you may also use arrowroot powder for a gluten free recipe.)
5. Slowly pour the milk and heavy cream into pan, stirring constantly.
6. Once the ingredients come to a slow simmer, reduce the heat to low.
7. Then add the cheese mixture to the pan, while continuously stirring.
8. Once the cheese melts, add salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
9. Finally, mix the vegetable zoodles into the homemade alfredo sauce. Then cook the sauce and zucchini noodles together until the zoodles are tender.
10. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired. Then serve this vegetarian dinner immediately for the best flavor and texture.
How to Store Alfredo Zucchini Noodles
Alfredo zucchini noodles are best served right away. However, you can store leftovers in the fridge for up to three days. The zoodles may get soggy.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 426Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 674mgCarbohydrates: 10gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 13g
What to Serve With Zucchini Noodles Alfredo
This vegetarian zucchini noodles recipe with homemade alfredo sauce is delicious on its own. However, you can also serve it with one of the following based on your dietary restrictions:
- Grilled chicken
- Tossed salad
- Grilled shrimp
- Beet and spinach salad
- Grilled steak
- Caesar salad
More Zucchini Recipes
If you like my recipe for zoodles with homemade alfredo sauce, then be sure to try these other delicious zucchini recipes:
- Zucchini Fritters
- Vegetarian Zucchini Boats
- Zucchini Ravioli Recipe
- Oven Baked Zucchini Chips
- Zucchini Egg Cups
- Vegan Zucchini Brownies